Highly touted as the future of death metal, does England’s Trigger The Bloodshed have the chops to match wits with Johnny Orlando, Jr., the World’s Leading Metal Journalist?
Vocalist Jonny Burgan took up the task and reveals some of what makes him tick, the ultimate goals of the band and why he’d love to date a girl with a fake arm.
1. When did Trigger The Bloodshed form and where?
Trigger The Bloodshed formed in the year 2006, the idea came together between Rob Purnell (Guitar) and Martyn Evans (Guitar) in a practice room based in Bath, after both acknowledging each other’s penchant for death metal.
2. What most inspires your playing and writing?
Playing live, our inspiration lies in precision and brutality, that which seems to have been lost within some modern death metal bands, we really push to be as tight as possible when we play. In terms of writing, we just like to write heavy fuckin’ songs, songs that will rip you up, but at the same time, songs that get you hooked, that you can listen to over and over again.
3. What is your next favorite type or genre of music, after metal?
Personally for me at the moment, underground hip-hop, some of the guys who live for it are incredible, not only with the way they place what they say, but the manner in which they do, and they are awesome lyricists.
4. What is your ultimate goal as a band?
Just to keep doing what we’re doing, playing sick as fuck shows with bands like Dying Fetus and Suffocation, and hopefully to be up there with them, as one of the bands you see live and you just think, fuck… That is incredible.
5. Are fake boobs on a gal a dealbreaker? How about a fake arm with a hook on it?
Fuck fake boobs.
A fake arm with a hook on it - all the way. Think about the crazy stuff you/she could do with that :O, you could zip wire almost everywhere, she’d be a badass pick pocket.
6. Give me a quote from your favorite movie.
“I’m gonna be a mighty king – enemies beware.” – The Lion King
The Lion King is best fuckin film ever. Not so much of a quote, but it should be allowed, and will be.
7. What movie quote do you hear too much?
None really, most of the quotes I hear are made up, like the story of the chicken man, he is an odious beast of man, who stalks, and rapes woodland found chickens.
“YOU JUST KEEEP ONNNNN CLUCKIN”
8. What is something you hate to keep in your pocket?
9. Are fish and chips really that popular where you live in the U.K.?
Nah, Thai food is better. And pretty much every other kind of food, except for fish and chips.
10. What is your favorite destructive natural force?
Toss up between volcanoes and earthquakes, their both pretty savage, I have yet to experience one though.
11. What were you doing the last time you used spray paint?
12. How would having three distinct human sexes impact gender relations?
There were three in the bed, and the little one said, roll over… Roll over.
13. If you could fast forward to another year, what year would you like to see?
A year when the English government make a good, worthwhile, and lasting decision… just one, come on, it’s not difficult.
14. Does everyone in England really have a butler and a nanny?
No, unfortunately not.
15. They say everyone has their price, what is yours?
Too much to name.
16. What is the one word you would like to use more in casual conversation?
17. What unusual instruments would you consider working into future compositions?
A kazoo, or a didgeridoo, but Hate Eternal beat me to it.
18. If you were to write a song about me, what would it be titled?
I don’t think I could bring myself to write a song about you…I mean I don’t even know you…….
19. What the hell is a shepherd’s pie? Are there lady shepherds?
Nope, no lady shepherds, not to my knowledge, but shepherds pie is one tasty meal! Traditionally cottage pie, also known as shepherds pie, refers to an English meat pie with a crust made from mashed potato. It would usually contain beef or lamb and is very fucking nice. Go and cook one, it won’t disappoint…
20. Do you have day jobs? If so, what do you do? Do your employers know? Are they cool about it?
Not me, I’m a bum. But everyone else does, apart from Dave who goes to college. I think their employers know though, to my knowledge their fine about it, I mean, of course I’m sure they had the ole’ “Oh my god what is that horrible racket” conversation, but other then that everyone else who isn’t a bum seems to be pretty settled.
21. Last question: If you were told that you had 24 hours to live, what are the two things you would have to do before you die?
I’d probably chill with the people closest to me, my family, my girlfriend, and good mates, for one thing, then I’d try to kill myself via a very large drop, just to say I had the experience. It looks pretty cool too.
Thanks for the questions!!! There’s some pretty weird ones haha!!!
Trigger The Bloodshed’s latest release, The Great Depression, is available now on Metal Blade.